An easy Guide on How to Quickly Grow Microgreens at Home
Have you heard about growing microgreens at home? Don’t worry if you haven’t. Here’s a simple, step-to-step guide on how to grow microgreens at home. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s begin!
What are Microgreens?
Microgreens are vegetable greens harvested just after the cotyledon leaves have nurtured. They are incredibly easy to grow at home on a sunny windowsill in 7 days. They are edible and are harvested at the first true leaf stage. Packed with lots of nutrients, they are a great source of beneficial plant compounds like antioxidants.
Microgreens have an aromatic flavor and contain concentrated nutrients and come in a variety of textures. You can add them to your salads and sandwiches or top off your soups, juices, and smoothies with it.
How to include microgreens in your food?
There are many ways of including microgreens in your diet, they can be incorporated into a variety of meals, including:
3) Bhel (especially mustard greens)
They can also be blended into liquids and one can garnish pizza, pancakes, sushi, tarts, burger, rice, and smoothies with microgreens to make it healthier and tastier.
What are some health benefits of microgreens?
1. They are rich in nutrients and help in preventing a range of diseases
2. The antioxidant content helps the body to eliminate unstable waste molecules in our body.
3. They boost up the immune systems and ward off digestive ailments
Now that you know what microgreens are, let’s discuss how to grow microgreens at home, shall we?
What do you need to grow microgreens at home?
Requirements for indoor microgreens:
1. A container for growing microgreens
2. Garden soil or coco peat
3. Sprouting seeds
4. Watering Spray or a bottle to water the microgreens
5. Sun light (Even partial sun light will do)
6. A notebook to take proper notes with regards to growth/ watering etc.
How easy and quick is it to grow microgreens at home?
For growing your own batch of flavorsome microgreens indoors, you need to follow these steps:
4.) Provide adequate sunlight: Microgreens need a minimum of 2-3 hours of sunlight for a healthy growth. Avoid harsh sunlight over the microgreens to hamper their growth.
5.) Keep watering as per the requirement: It is recommended to spray on the soil every day till water drains from the bottom of the container. Soon you will notice very small leaves growing over the soil with tiny shoots at the bottom.
How to harvest microgreens at home?
After 4-6 days, use a pair of scissors and cut the leaves along with the stems. Cut the microgreens properly just above the soil so that you don’t cut roots.
The best time to harvest your microgreens are during the early morning or evening as they are more likely to be fresh and healthy during this time.
Remember the following points while harvesting your microgreens at home:
2. After trimming, wash the ends to remove any leftover dirt or soil
3. If you’re growing your microgreens in soil, it is recommended to wash the ends to remove the dirt which will also maintain the overall freshness of freshly grown microgreens
4. Make sure to remove damaged leaves to avoid a bitter taste
5. Dry them out completely and store in fridge to increase shelf life.
6 You can reuse the soil after harvesting. Just dry it out in the sun and re use.
What are the best microgreens to grow at home?
The best microgreens to grow at home are:
6. Alfa Alfa
13. Red cabbage
Which is the best soil to grow your microgreens?
Where to buy microgreens?
Microgreens are available at specialized grocery stores, but you can easily grow them at your home in just a few days. In this way you can enjoy organic and fresh microgreens every day.
Best is to buy DIY Microgreens Kit online. They come at a at a very reasonable price and include everything you need to grow.
2. 1 Grow Container
3. 3 Coco peat pellets compressed
4. 2 Plant markers
5. 1 Grow Guide/Manual